Here’s what you need to know
A new iron curtain is descending. So says Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov. Meanwhile, Russian forces were pushed out of Snake Island, and the European Court of Human Rights sent a probably fruitless order forbidding Moscow to execute detained Brits.
Xi Jinping arrived in Hong Kong. China’s president is celebrating the 25th anniversary of the British handover while calling his crackdown in Hong Kong over the last two years a success.
The US Supreme Court weakened federal power to regulate emissions. The move hinders the country’s ability to fight climate change. After a jarring week of SCOTUS decisions, the docket appears to continue the theme.
South Korea committed to raising its minimum wage in 2023. Added to an earlier hike this year, the 5% increase, meant to fight inflation, puts the country on par with the US and Japan.
Hackers from North Korea are suspected of stealing $100 million in crypto. Last week’s Horizon Bridge heist had some stylistic similarities to other thefts attributed to Lazarus Group.
TSMC threw up a red flag. The Taiwanese semiconductor giant has been struggling with employee turnover and utility concerns, which doesn’t bode well for the ongoing chip shortage.
Hello Kitty made big gains on the stock market. Sanrio, the company that designed the kawaii character, saw its stock jump 15% after signing a deal with Alibaba.
- A bunch of men are about to make a fortune on Plan BQuartz • 7 hours ago
- The Supreme Court stopped just short of killing the regulatory stateQuartz • 7 hours ago
- Elon Musk’s 9-day Twitter silence is unusually long for himQuartz • June 30, 2022
- Abortion bans will make pregnancies in the US even more dangerousQuartz • June 30, 2022
- The Supreme Court has crippled the US’s fight against climate changeQuartz • June 30, 2022
- US abortion laws revive a strong argument for cashQuartz • June 30, 2022
- The pandemic has fundamentally changed companies’ relationship with mental healthQuartz • June 30, 2022