Skip to navigationSkip to content
HOOYAH

The US Navy is tripling its paid maternity leave to 18 weeks

AP Photo/Patrick Semansky
Female recruiting prospects now have more reason to join the Navy
Published This article is more than 2 years old.

The US Navy announced on July 2 that paid maternity leave for women in the Navy and Marine Corps will be tripled to 18 weeks. The policy, effective immediately, also retroactively applies to women who have given birth since January 1, 2015.

The change may come as part of a larger strategy to recruit more women to the Navy. In the press release, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus stated, “We have incredibly talented women who want to serve, and they also want to be mothers and have the time to fulfill that important role the right way. We can do that for them.”

“Meaningful maternity leave when it matters most is one of the best ways that we can support the women who serve our county.”

The Navy’s previous maternity leave was six weeks (which is what working moms still receive for maternity leave in the US Army and Air Force.) In 2014, Navy Recruiting Commander Admiral Annie Andrews admitted that the Navy was struggling to recruit highly-skilled employees.

Women now make up 17% of Navy forces, with more than 59,000 women currently serving in active duty and 9,000 in reserves. For the men who make up the remaining 83%, however, paid paternity leave will remain at 10 daysa policy that has been unchanged since 2008.

📬 Need to Know: COP26

Your guide to the world's biggest climate summit.

By providing your email, you agree to the Quartz Privacy Policy.