Skip to navigationSkip to content
French police officers patrol on the Champs Elysees in Paris.
AP Photo/Kamil Zihnioglu
French police officers patrol on the Champs Elysees in Paris.
DUBAI

One of the Paris gunmen is still on the loose

Multiple media outlets, including the Associated Press and France24, are reporting that French authorities have begun a manhunt for a suspected attacker in the Nov. 13 killings in Paris. Per the AP:

The man, one of three brothers believed involved in the killings in central Paris, rented a black Volkswagen Polo used by a group of hostage-takers that left at least 89 people dead inside the Bataclan concert hall, one official said.

The manhunt is believed to involve at least one suspect, another official said. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing. One of the suspect’s brothers has been arrested in Belgium and another brother died in the attack, the first official said.

Thirteen people have already been arrested in connection to the acts, which left 129 people dead from France and around the worldFrance has detained six of them and Belgium has taken seven into custody. From what investigators have managed to piece together so far, it seems that there were three teams of gunmen and suicide bombers, who targeted a concert hall, a soccer game, and other locations in Paris.

ISIL has claimed responsibility for the attacks, and Greece said that at least one of the attackers had registered as a refugee at one point. Though muslims around the world have been quick to denounce the violence in France, politicians across Europe have already begun using the attacks to justify to curtail immigration as anti-immigrant sentiment builds.

Follow Quartz’ coverage of the Paris attacks here.

Subscribe to the Daily Brief, our morning email with news and insights you need to understand our changing world.

By providing your email, you agree to the Quartz Privacy Policy.