Skip to navigationSkip to content

Attackers shot several people at a Black Lives Matter rally in Minneapolis

Reuters/Craig Lassig
Minneapolis mourns every night.
This article is more than 2 years old.

This developing story will be updated as more information becomes available. Last update: 3:28 pm

On Nov. 15, Jamar Clark was killed by police officers in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Citizens have been protesting outside the city police department’s fourth precinct every day since. Last night (Nov. 23), three people opened fire on the crowd, injuring five people.

Miski Noor, a representative for Black Lives Matter in Minneapolis,  told the Minneapolis Tribune that “a group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights,” and when about a dozen of the Black Lives Matter protesters attempted to escort them away from the crowd, they pulled out guns and started shooting. Five victims were treated at nearby hospitals. None of the injuries—including one gunshot wound to a stomach—were life-threatening.

The Minneapolis police department said it was searching for three “white male suspects.”

On Tuesday afternoon, the police said, via Twitter, that two suspects had been arrested.

Jamar Clark’s family has released a statement asking the demonstrations outside the police precinct to end. “In light of tonight’s shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the fourth precinct ended and onto the next step,” the statement said.

But the Associated Press reports that some protesters plan to ignore the family’s request.

📬 Kick off each morning with coffee and the Daily Brief (BYO coffee).

By providing your email, you agree to the Quartz Privacy Policy.