Days after the US Federal Bureau of Investigation recommended not filing criminal charges against presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, the US State Department said it will reopen its investigation of the situation.
Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was secretary of state, the top office in the State Department, raised alarms about classified information potentially being hacked or stolen. The department was probing the issue earlier this year, but suspended its investigation for the FBI’s.
State Department spokesman John Kirby told the Associated Press on Thursday (July 7) that the department’s renewed investigation will look at the actions of Clinton and her top aides.
“We will aim to be as expeditious as possible, but we will not put artificial deadlines on the process,” he said. “Our goal will be to be as transparent as possible about our results, while complying with our various legal obligations.”