Here’s what you need to know
Turkey agreed to not stand in the way of Sweden and Finland’s NATO bids. An eastward expansion of NATO is looking more likely.
China is easing covid restrictions for international travelers. Quarantines have been reduced, and on Friday, leader Xi Jinping will make his first foray out of the mainland—to Hong Kong—since the pandemic began.
Garuda Indonesia has reportedly righted the ship. The government-backed airline made a dent in its debt, lowered its cost, and leaned into domestic travel.
An Indian journalist was arrested for insulting religion. Founder of Indian fact-checking site Alt News, Mohammed Zubair, has been through this before, and concerns of media freedom in the country grow.
The US Congressional hearings on the Jan. 6 insurrection made a surprise testimony. A former aide to Donald Trump’s chief of staff said the then-president knew his supporters were armed, tried to wrest control of a car from his security detail, and threw a plate against a wall.
South Africa’s energy strike is back in negotiations. Eskom workers were called back for wage talks after throwing gasoline bombs at the homes of the utility company’s higher-ups.
- The FDA holds the key to expanding abortion accessQuartz • 9 minutes ago
- Quartz investigation: H&M showed bogus environmental scores for its clothingQuartz • 3 hours ago
- The controversial way fashion brands gauge sustainability is being suspendedQuartz • 4 hours ago
- God is disappearing from the gun control debateQuartz • June 28, 2022
- Can adjusting font styles really help us read faster?Quartz • June 28, 2022
- “Top Gun: Maverick” shows Hollywood can survive without China’s film marketQuartz • June 28, 2022
- Everything that’s wrong with relying on employers for abortion accessQuartz • June 28, 2022