Here’s what you need to know
Russia defaulted on foreign debt. The missed payments are the country’s first since 1918 and were more because of Western sanctions than lack of money.
NATO wants a huge increase in forces. A new plan will prepare more than 300,000 troops for deployment, up from the 40,000 now situated on the alliance’s eastern flank. The announcement comes as a Russian rocket hit a busy shopping mall in the Ukrainian city of Kremenchuk.
India’s stock market hit a two-week high. Tech and metal shares led the charge, but analysts say the gains are likely temporary as rate hikes and other economic pressures loom.
Google faced more antitrust scrutiny in the EU. A Danish job listing site has accused the tech behemoth of pushing its own service and skewing job seekers away from other sites.
The US and Taiwan began economic and trade talks. The conversations won’t help growing tensions between the US and China, but come as the Taiwanese company GlobalWafers announced plans to build a $5 billion factory in Texas.
Snack maker Weilong Delicious revived its IPO. The $500 million listing could be one of the Hong Kong’s largest this year.
- After Maverick’s success, get ready for the “Top Gun universe”Quartz • June 27, 2022
- The postal service is already one of the US’s main abortion providersQuartz • June 27, 2022
- How much is Kate Bush making from “Running Up That Hill”?Quartz • June 27, 2022
- One London insurance group is the key to squeezing Russia’s oil revenuesQuartz • June 27, 2022
- Walmart is offering doula benefitsQuartz • June 27, 2022
- Can bankers fix their climate problem from the inside?Quartz • June 27, 2022
- G7 leaders meet to discuss action plan for Russia and inflationQuartz • June 26, 2022