Here’s what you need to know
Putin declared victory in the Luhansk region of Ukraine. After the fall of the city of Lysychansk, Russian forces will now likely focus on capturing Donetsk.
Danish police ruled out terrorism as a motive for a mass shooting at a shopping mall. At least three people died and four more were injured when a 22-year-old opened fire in Copenhagen.
British legislators want to ban Chinese CCTV manufacturers. Hikvision and Dahua are already banned in the US for their alleged ties to human rights abuses.
The US said the Israeli army was “likely responsible” for the death of a Palestinian reporter. However, the ballistic test of the bullet that killed Shireen Abu Akleh was inconclusive.
A month-long state of emergency was declared in Uzbekistan’s western region. At least 18 people died in clashes sparked by Tashkent’s plans to curb Karakalpakstan’s autonomy.
- Delta is experimenting with flight information boards that know who you are and where you’re goingQuartz • July 2, 2022
- GameStop trading nearly destroyed RobinhoodQuartz • July 2, 2022
- The US can still fight climate change, but only the hard and expensive waysQuartz • July 2, 2022
- Trump’s Truth Social just got a criminal subpoena over its dubious SPAC dealQuartz • July 1, 2022
- It sure looks like the Fed is hiking interest rates too fastQuartz • July 1, 2022
- How the Sony Walkman changed everythingQuartz • July 1, 2022
- Unilever isn’t displaying leadership by selling Ben & Jerry’s in Israel—just avoidanceQuartz • July 1, 2022