Here’s what you need to know
A white gunman killed 10 people in a Buffalo, New York supermarket. Of the 13 people shot in what authorities described as a racially motivated hate crime, 11 were Black.
JetBlue plans a hostile takeover of Spirit Airlines. JetBlue will offer to buy out Spirit’s shareholders, as a way of influencing Spirit’s management to reconsider its merger with Frontier Airlines.
Shanghai’s total lockdown will end on June 1. City officials announced a phased reopening, even as the economic costs of China’s zero-covid policy mount. Beijing’s lockdown is still in force.
CEO pay packages rose for a sixth straight record year. The median compensation for chief executives of the US’ biggest companies was $14.7 million in 2021.
- Firestarter is an unusual flop for the Stephen King universeQuartz • 25 minutes ago
- The Ukraine war is creating a jobs crisis in RussiaQuartz • 1 hour ago
- Is the era of free movement for Chinese citizens coming to an end?Quartz • 7 hours ago
- Miami’s mayor backed MiamiCoin crypto—then its price dropped 95%Quartz • May 16, 2022
- China keeps using the wrong tools to fix its economic problemsQuartz • May 16, 2022
- Working conditions for new mothers are a public health issueQuartz • May 15, 2022
- If you want to buy an EV, New Jersey is the place to beQuartz • May 14, 2022