- WHAT WE COLLECT
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION
- HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
- THIRD PARTY COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
- YOUR CHOICES
- CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
- PRIVACY INFORMATION FOR NEVADA RESIDENTS
- RESIDENTS OF THE EEA & SWITZERLAND
- OTHER INFORMATION
Last Updated: December 31, 2019
Quartz Media, Inc. (“Quartz”) wants you to enjoy our websites, apps, and other online services secure in the knowledge that we have implemented fair and transparent information practices designed to protect, and provide you with control of, your privacy.
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, Quartz is the controller of your information.
The information we collect and the purposes for which we use it will depend on how you interact with Quartz. For example, we collect information from you when you use any features in the Services; subscribe to our publications, newsletters, and other content; register for or order any of our Services; participate in a community forum, surveys or contest; and communicate with us or browse the Services.
- Information you provide to us.
When you use the Services, you may provide us the following:
- Registration, Subscription or Contact Information such as e-mail address, name, phone number, shipping address, and billing information
- Customer service information such as questions and other messages you address to us directly through online forms, by email, over the phone, or by post; and summaries or voice recordings of your interactions with customer care
- Demographic and interest information such as your age, date of birth, gender, interests, lifestyle information, and hobbies
- Financial and transactional information such as credit or debit card number, verification number, and expiration date, to process payments and information about your transactions and purchases with us. Please note: payment information goes to our payment processors and is not collected, processed, or stored by Quartz.
- Employment or Education Information when you register or sign up for events such as education history, employment experience, business contact information
- User-generated content such as comments on articles, photos, videos, audio, any information you submit in public forums or message boards, reviews and feedback or testimonials you provide about our Services
- Survey, market research or sweepstakes information (including contact information and user generated content)
- Contact Information about others, (including personal identifiers) such as name and mailing address to send a gift.
- Social media information if you link your account or access the Services through a third-party connection or log-in, we may have access to any information you provide to that social network depending on your privacy settings
- Other information any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of the Services
- Information we automatically collect.
We may collect information about your use of the Services, including:
- Device information and identifiers: such as computer or mobile device model, IP address, other unique device identifiers, operating system version, browser type, language, and settings, and device type and settings.
- Usage information: such as information about the Services you use, the time, date, and duration of your use of the Services, referral information, your interaction with content offered through the Services, search terms used, our referring website, and software crash reports. We also collect information stored using cookies, mobile ad identifiers, and similar technologies set on your device. Our servers may automatically keep an activity log of your use of the Services. We may collect such usage information at the individual or aggregate level. See our Cookies Notice policy for more information about how we collect and use this information.
- Location information: such as city, state and ZIP code associated with your IP address and precise geolocation information from your devices, with your permission in accordance with your mobile device settings.
- Information we receive from third parties.
We may receive information about you from third parties and combine it with information we receive from or about you, including
- Information from social media networks: When you interact with Quartz a social media service or log in using social media credentials, depending on your social media settings, we may have access to your information from that social network such as your social media account ID and/or user name associated with that social media service, your profile picture, email address, friends list or information about the people and groups you are connected to and how you interact with them, and any information you have made public in connection with that social media service.
- Information from third party subscription providers and/or processors: When you purchase one of our subscription products on a third-party services or stores subscription (including the Apple Store), we receive personal information from the third parties that help us process subscriptions. Please note that Quartz does not receive (or collect, process, or store) any payment card industry (“PCI”) data.
- Information from publicly or commercially available sources: We may collect information from third parties such as consumer data resellers that make available information, collected both online and offline, such as demographic information, additional contact information, group affiliations, occupational information, and educational background, which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you.
- Information from our affiliates:We may receive information from within our family of affiliated companies
- Other information we collect.
We also may collect other information about you, your device, or your use of the Services in ways that we describe to you at the point of collection or otherwise with your consent. You may choose not to provide us with certain types of information, but doing so may affect your experience in using the Services
We use your information to help us personalize and continually improve your experience using the Services in the ways described below, as well as in other ways to which you consent or at your direction.
- To provide the Services, for example, to
- process and fulfill your transactions, including subscriptions or memberships,
- enable you to login to the Services,
- send you communications about the Services, communications you request, including newsletters, respond to your comments, inquiries, or requests; and legal notices, policy updates, and other important information about the Services,
- provide features of the Services (such as social sharing and comments) and post content you submit,
- administer loyalty programs, contests, promotions or survey
- to detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or may be fraudulent, illegal; to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of Quartz, its employees, agents, or users; or as required by law.
- Deliver personalized content and recommendations, for example, to
- customize certain features of the Services,
- deliver relevant content and to provide you with an enhanced experience based on your activities and interests
- send you personalized newsletters, surveys, and information about products, services and promotions offered by us, our partners, and other organizations with which we work
- facilitate the delivery of targeted advertising (including interest-based advertising), promotions, and offers, on behalf of ourselves and our third-party advertisers, both on our websites and elsewhere
- send you newsletters, promotional emails, surveys and information about products, services and promotions offered by us, our partners, and other organizations with which we work
- customize content that our third-party partners deliver on the Services (e.g., personalized third-party advertising) based on your activity on the Services
- create and update inferences and profiles about you that can be used for advertising and marketing on the Services, third party services and platforms, and mobile apps, or for analytics,
- measure and report on the delivery of advertisements
To enable us to provide these Services, we may use the information we collect to identify you across sessions, browsers, and/or devices. For example, if you use QZ.com and the Quartz App, we may use your QZ.com reading history to personalize the content delivered to you by the Quartz App.
- Learn about our users and improve services.
We conduct analysis and research on our users’ demographics, interests and behavior, including performing statistical analysis of our users, their use of the Services, and their purchasing patterns. We do this to optimize and improve the Services, our products, and our operations.
- Combine information for all the purposes described above.
We may use the information from one aspect of the Services for other aspects of Services, and we may combine information gathered from multiple aspects of the Services into a single user record. We also may use or combine information that we collect offline or we collect or receive from third-party sources for many reasons, including to enhance, expand, and check the accuracy of our records. Additionally, data collected from a particular computer, browser or device may be used with another computer, browser or device that is linked to the computer, browser or device on which such data was collected.
As described below, our information-sharing practices vary based on the type of information and the type of recipient
We share information within our family of affiliated companies.
- Subscription providers
If your subscription is provided in whole or in part by your employer or other third party, we may share with them information about your access and use of your subscription. If you have a subscription associated with a professor or school, we may notify your professor or school to confirm your subscription, access or use. When providing this information, we may reveal limited amounts of your personal information such as your name or email address.
- Service providers
We share information with third party agents and vendors perform functions on our behalf, including, but not limited to, hosting, content syndication, content management tools, social media integration, marketing, analytics, product development or support, sending email or text messages, billing or payment processing, fulfilling orders, delivering subscriptions, auditing, and customer service. These entities will be obligated to maintain the confidentiality (as appropriate for the services) and security of that personal information.
- Third party content or advertising partners
- Social media platforms
- Providers of co-branded services
- Aggregate or de-identified information
We may use and share de-identified other information with third parties in a manner for any purposes.
- Other users of the services
If you use certain features of the Services that give you an opportunity to interact with us and others. such as community forums, chats, submitting a letter to the editor, any information you choose to submit, including your name, user name, location, email address, profile information, and comments, may be publicly available. We are not responsible for any information you choose to submit and make public through these
- Business transfer or change
In the event of a corporate change in control (for instance, a sale or merger) or due diligence in contemplation thereof, Quartz may transfer your personal information to the new party in control or the party acquiring assets
- With your consent at your direction.
We may also share your information with your consent.
The Services may link to third-party websites and services that are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security or privacy of any information collected by these third parties, which operate pursuant to their respective privacy policies.
Read our Cookies Notice policy.
- Do Not Track.
- Emails and newsletters.
- Opting out of text messages
You may opt out of receiving promotions or advertising via Text Message at any time, by replying “STOP” to one of our Text Messages.
- Accessing your information
You can request to access, review, correct, update, delete or modify your registration or subscription profile information (if such information exists) and modify your marketing preferences (where applicable) by contacting email@example.com. You may also access and/or update the information associated with your Quartz Membership by visiting qz.com/account/membership. You may also access and/or update the information associated with your Quartz App account by accessing the Settings feature within the App.
- Please note that if you have subscribed or registered for multiple of our Services or subscriptions, you may need to update your information for each account separately.
- The local laws where you live (e.g., laws of the E.U. and California) may permit you to make certain requests. See the section applicable to the place of your residency below.
- Responding to requests.
For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request and/or on the basis of other information we use to verify you before implementing your request. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record-keeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions you began prior to requesting such change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the personal information provided until after the completion or cancelation of such purchase or promotion).
The following information applies to California residents regarding “personal information” (as defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)). This information and the rights discussed below do not apply to information collected from about our employees, former employees, candidates, contractors, service providers, or business contacts of Quartz.
- Categories of personal information we collect, use and disclose.
Throughout this Policy, we discuss in detail the specific pieces of information we collect from you and other users (as described above) and discuss how we use and share such information. The CCPA requires us to provide additional information about this collection and use.
- We may collect, use, and disclose for our business and commercial purposes, the following categories of information about you or your use of the Services: Identifiers (such as name, address, email address); commercial information (such as transaction data); financial data; user-generated content; device identifiers (such as IP address); internet or other network or device activity (such as browsing history or app usage); professional and employment related information; location data; audio or visual information (such as if you participate phone survey or submit a photo); potentially protected classifications (such as gender or age); physical characteristics or description (e.g., publicly available photos on social media);and other information that identifies or can be reasonably associated with you.
- We may use the information above: to provide and improve the Services; to contact you; to deliver personalized content and recommendations; to analyze the Services; for legal compliance and to protect the Services and Quartz, its users or others; or with your consent. Please see “How We Use Information” above for more details about these uses.
- Sale of personal information.
California law broadly defines “sale” in a way that may include the delivery of targeted advertising on the Services or other sites, including allowing third parties to receive certain information, such as cookies, IP address and/or browsing behavior. We may share the following categories of information for such advertising which may be considered a sale (as defined by California law): device information and identifiers, such as IP address, and unique advertising identifiers and cookies; internet or other network or device activity information, such as browsing history or app usage; geolocation information, such as city; and inference data.
If you are a California resident and would like to opt out of our use of your information for such purposes (to the extent this is considered a sale), you may do as outlined on the following page: Do Not Sell My Personal Information. You can also control certain of this sharing through the choices outlined in our Cookies Notice policy.
- California Privacy Rights
California residents can make certain requests about their personal information under the CCPA. Specifically, if you are a California resident, you may request that we:
- provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you;
- delete certain information we have about you; and/or
- provide you with information about the financial incentives that we offer to you, if any.
Please note that certain information may be exempt from such requests under applicable law. For example, we may retain certain information for legal compliance and to secure our Services. We may need certain information in order to provide the Services to you; if you ask us to delete it, you may no longer be able to use the Services.
The CCPA further provides you with the right to not be discriminated against (as provided for in applicable law) for exercising your rights under the CCPA.
If you would like information regarding your rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please click here to log into your account or contact us at Privacy@qz.com or complete Quartz’s California Rights Request form. To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity and requests before granting such requests, including by verifying your account information, residency, or the email address you provide. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. To do so, you must provide us with written authorization or a power of attorney, signed by you, for the agent to act on your behalf. You will still need to verify your identity directly with us.
California customers may also request, once per year, that we disclose the identity of any third parties with whom we have shared personal information for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes within the previous calendar year, along with the type of personal information disclosed. Quartz does not disclose your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes unless you affirmatively agree to such disclosures.
California residents under age 18 who are registered users of online sites, services or applications may request and obtain removal of content or information they have publicly posted. Your request should include a detailed description of the specific content or information to be removed. Please be aware that your request does not guarantee complete or comprehensive removal of content or information posted online and that the law may not permit or require removal in certain circumstances.
Under Nevada law, Nevada consumers who have purchased goods or services from us may opt out of the “sale” of “covered information” as such terms are defined under Nevada law. We do not engage in such activity; however, if you are a qualifying Nevada resident you may submit a request to opt out of any potential future sales under Nevada law by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once verified, we will maintain your request in the event our practices change.
If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland (an “EEA User”), the following information applies with respect to personal data collected through your use of our Services. Our Privacy Shield Policy also governs use of personal information that has been transferred to us from organizations in the EEA and Switzerland.
- Purposes of processing and legal basis for processing
All EEA Users of qz.com, and any other qz.com domain or sub-domain) (the “Site”) will see a personal data processing disclosure and consent interface (a persistent banner at the bottom of the page). Unless you click Accept, Quartz will only serve non-personalized advertisements, which may be targeted using coarse location.
Personal data we collect may be transferred to, stored, and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or processors maintain facilities. We will ensure that transfers of personal data to a third country or an international organization are subject to appropriate safeguards. Our Privacy Shield Policy governs use of personal information that has been transferred to us from organizations in the EEA and Switzerland.
- Your rights
You are entitled to the rights under Chapter III of the EU General Data Protection Regulation or Section 2 of the Swiss Federal Act on Data Protection with respect to the processing of your personal data, which include the right to access and rectify and to request erasure of personal data.
To exercise these rights, contact Privacy@qz.com and provide as complete a description of your request as possible.
We take reasonable security measures to protect your information, including the use of physical, technical and administrative controls. Please understand, however, that while we try our best to safeguard your personal information once we receive it, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. You need to help protect the privacy of your own information. You must take precautions to protect the security of any personal information that you may transmit over any home networks, wireless routers, wireless (WiFi) networks or similar devices by using encryption and other techniques to prevent unauthorized persons from intercepting or receiving any of your personal information. You are responsible for the security of your information when using unencrypted, open access or otherwise unsecured networks.
The time period for which we keep information varies according to the purpose for which it is used for. In some cases, there are legal requirements to keep data for a minimum period. Unless there is a specific legal requirement for us to keep the information, we will retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the data was collected or for which it is to be further processed.
- Children’s Information
The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. Quartz does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age. If Quartz discovers that a child under the age of 13 has provided Quartz with personal information and we do not have parental consent, Quartz will delete that child’s information. If you believe that company has been provided with the personal information of a child under the age of 13 without parental consent, please notify us immediately at Privacy(at)QZ(dot)com.
ATTN: General Counsel
Quartz Media Inc.
675 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10011