- Progressive offers lower rates than some competitors for drivers with accidents, speeding tickets, or DUIs on their records.
- Snapshot, the company’s usage-based program, can help safe drivers earn significant discounts.
- Progressive customer satisfaction reviews are mixed.
As our team of experts reviewed the industry’s best car insurance companies and cheapest car insurance companies, Progressive received solid marks in every category. We give the provider our Best Usage-Based Insurance award, and it offers affordable coverage for high-risk drivers. As you compare car insurance quotes to find the right company for your needs, we recommend putting Progressive on your list.
Progressive Car Insurance Review
Our team gives Progressive auto insurance an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5.0. This score is based on the company’s performance in the four key areas of cost, coverage, reliability, and service.
Progressive Insurance Ratings
*Ratings are determined by our editorial review team. Learn more about our scoring methodology below.
Is Progressive Insurance Good?
Progressive offers affordable rates and quality auto coverage in all 50 states. The company makes it easy for customers to manage all types of car insurance policies through its well-reviewed mobile app.
Snapshot, Progressive’s usage-based program, tracks driving habits and can help good drivers save on their premiums.
Pros And Cons Of Progressive Insurance
Available in: 50 states
Founded in: 1937
Coverage: Auto, homeowners, renters, life, health, and more
Progressive Company Overview
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Progressive is the second largest auto insurer in the United States. The company wrote nearly $39 billion in car insurance premiums in 2022 and holds just over 14 percent of the market share.
How Does Progressive Stand Out?
Progressive began catering to high-risk drivers in the 1950s and has become one of the top choices for people with speeding tickets, at-fault accidents, and other violations on their records.
The company was also one of the first auto insurers to invest in a website. This focus on technology has evolved to include the Snapshot telematics program and the Name Your PriceⓇ tool, which allows customers to quickly receive custom quotes to fit their budgets.
Progressive Industry Reviews
Progressive has strong ratings from both the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and credit rating agency AM Best. The company has an A+ rating from the BBB and an A+ rating for financial strength from AM Best.
Progressive Insurance Customer Reviews
Progressive receives mixed reviews from customers online. On the BBB’s website, for example, customers give the company an average of only 1.1 out of 5.0 stars based on more than 900 reviews. Positive reviews typically focus on helpful customer service agents and a quick claims process.
Some negative reviews reflect frustrations with Progressive’s preferred repair facilities.
Progressive Insurance Reviews: J.D. Power
Progressive received 853 out of 1,000 points in the J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Insurance Shopping Study℠, which weighed customers’ satisfaction with the auto coverage shopping experience. The industry average for large insurers was 861. Progressive was rated slightly higher in the 2022 study, when it earned 859 points compared to the industry average of 863.
In the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study℠, Progressive earned 861 out of 1,000 points. The average score among insurers was 873. This study considered responses from 8,239 customers who had settled auto insurance claims within the previous six months.
Progressive Customer Satisfaction Survey
In August 2022, our team conducted a car insurance satisfaction survey that polled nearly 7,000 people. Progressive policyholders were well represented, making up about 17 percent of respondents.
The company’s 4.1-out-of-5.0 rating for overall customer satisfaction was just below average. Here’s a deeper look at how Progressive performed in our car insurance survey:
*Each rating is out of 5.0 points.
Progressive Auto Insurance Claims Reviews
In our survey, 31 percent of Progressive policyholders had filed a claim. Respondents gave the company 4.0 for their satisfaction with the claim outcome or settlement and 4.1 for customer service during the claims process. Both scores were 0.1 points below the industry average.
Progressive Car Insurance Coverage
Like other major auto insurance companies, Progressive offers the following standard types of coverage:
Other Progressive Coverage Options
Progressive offers several add-on insurance options, including the following:
- Loan/lease payoff: This covers the difference between your car’s value and what you owe on it in the event of a total loss. The maximum coverage is 25 percent of your car’s value.
- Rental car reimbursement: This pays for rental car expenses when your vehicle is in the shop for covered repairs.
- Rideshare insurance: This is for drivers who use their vehicles for services such as Uber and Lyft.
- Roadside assistance: Towing, flat tire changes, and fluid delivery are among the services included here.
Progressive Car Insurance Cost
Progressive’s average costs are competitive across the board. According to our research, full-coverage car insurance from Progressive costs $1,611 per year or $134 per month on average. These figures are about 7 percent below the national averages of $1,730 per year or $144 per month.
*These rates are based on the profile of a 35-year-old married driver with good credit and a clean driving record.
Progressive Car Insurance Rates By Age
Age has a significant impact on car insurance rates. For drivers 21 or younger, Progressive auto coverage tends to be more expensive than the national averages for those age groups.
Progressive Car Insurance Rates By Driving Profile
Speeding tickets, at-fault accidents, and DUI violations have dramatic effects on auto insurance rates. As you can see below, Progressive offers average or near-average rates for various types of high-risk drivers.
*Rates apply to the profile of a 35-year-old male driver.
Progressive Car Insurance Discounts
Progressive offers the following discounts to help customers save on their car insurance premiums:
With the Snapshot program, Progressive gives drivers the chance to save money by having safe habits behind the wheel. One downside is that risky driving behaviors can lead to higher rates, which isn’t the case with competing usage-based programs such as State Farm’s Drive Safe & Save™.
Here are additional details on the Snapshot program:
Factors That Affect Car Insurance Rates
A range of factors determine a driver’s car insurance rates, including their location, age, and marital status in most states.
- Age: Teen drivers pay especially high car insurance rates.
- Marital status: Married drivers pay less for auto coverage than single drivers.
- Gender on driver’s license: People who identify as male generally pay more for car insurance.
- Location: If you live in a densely populated area, you’ll pay more for coverage because there tend to be more accidents and claims.
- Vehicle information: Newer vehicles with modern features usually cost more to insure than older cars.
- Credit history: In most states, your credit score impacts how much you pay for car insurance.
- Driving record: Having a DUI, speeding ticket, or at-fault accident on your record leads to higher car insurance premiums.
Progressive Home Insurance
According to our research, Progressive offers consistently affordable home insurance rates. We reached out to the company for estimates on insuring single-family homes in various parts of the country. These estimates should give you an idea of how much Progressive homeowners insurance can cost, but keep in mind that your price will depend on many factors.
Progressive Life Insurance
Progressive offers life insurance through the third-party company eFinancial. Coverage options include:
- Term life insurance
- Final expense insurance
- Short-term life insurance
- Whole life insurance
You can purchase life insurance at several term options with eFinancial, ranging from one year to a permanent policy.
Progressive Insurance Reviews: Conclusion
Progressive offers high-quality car insurance at affordable rates. The insurer is an especially attractive option for drivers with recent accidents or traffic violations. Progressive has an array of discounts, too, including the Snapshot program that can unlock savings at sign-up and when you renew your policy.
Other Recommended Car Insurance Companies
It’s always a good idea to compare car insurance quotes from multiple providers before making a decision. Along with Progressive, we recommend that you consider State Farm and Geico.
State Farm: Best Overall Provider
State Farm is the largest auto insurer in the U.S. and our pick for Best Overall Provider. Along with standard car insurance types, the company offers roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and a highly rated telematics program called Drive Safe & Save that can earn drivers a discount of up to 30 percent.
Geico: Best for Discounts
The NAIC reports that Geico wrote more than $38 billion in premiums in 2022, making it the third largest auto insurer in the country. We like that the company offers many discounts, several of which can save drivers 15 to 25 percent off their premiums.
Geico sets itself apart from the competition by offering mechanical breakdown insurance, or MBI. This coverage functions much like an extended warranty, protecting vital parts of your vehicle from breakdowns.
Compare providers: Geico vs. Progressive
How We Rate Insurers
Our review process aims to deliver consistent and unbiased assessments of car insurance providers. While there are multiple qualities that make a car insurance company successful, our review team focuses on those we believe are the most important for consumers:
- Cost: Cost can be difficult to compare between insurers because so many factors impact annual premiums. The cheapest insurer for one driver may not be the cheapest for another. To determine our cost score, we look at insurance rate estimates generated by Quadrant Information Services, discount opportunities, and consumer reports.
- Coverage: To determine our coverage score, we look at the number of coverage options available as well as coverage limits and deductible options. Our ratings also take into account additional services and benefits like roadside assistance.
- Reliability: It’s important that an auto insurer is able to meet its claims obligations. Companies with a strong financial strength rating from AM Best score best in this category. Established insurers with a long history of reliable service also receive positive marks.
- Service: We comb through customer reviews on sites like the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to learn about customer experiences. Insurers with a low volume of complaints score well in this area. We also consider the claims process, giving higher ratings to car insurance providers that offer easy-to-use claims apps.
*Data accurate at time of publication.