Derrick is an writer and speaker focusing on the intersections of identity, pop culture, politics and social justice issues. Formerly of Mic and the Daily Dot, he recently completed his Master's in Journalism at Northwestern University.
- WHITE FRIGHTThe simple reason “La La Land” will win Best Picture, even though “Moonlight” is a better filmQuartz • February 26, 2017
- WILLFUL IGNORANCEDonald Trump’s blunder proves how little white America understands about black historyQuartz • February 6, 2017
- THE STREEP STANDARDMeryl Streep’s Golden Globes speech was a textbook lesson in how to use one’s privilege for goodQuartz • January 10, 2017
- BEST OF THE BEST“Moonlight” is the best movie of 2016. But will white America watch it?Quartz • December 13, 2016
- JUSTICE DENIED (AGAIN)Why even slam dunk video evidence couldn’t win a conviction in the Walter Scott mistrialQuartz • December 7, 2016
- MIC DROPLarry Wilmore proved just how uncomfortable white people in America still are with raceQuartz • May 2, 2016
- COULD'VE BEEN MEDealing with survivor’s guilt in Chicago: Why I refuse to watch the Laquan McDonald videoQuartz • December 11, 2015