ℹ️ You’re reading Quartz Essentials: quick, engaging outlines of the most important topics affecting the global economy.
Sustainability is now a ‘must have’ in real estate.
- 1 of 3
Business is changing
Sustainability, once considered a nice-to-have, is now a real-estate imperative that averts future risks, prepares businesses to manage changing regulations, and adds recognisable business value.
- 2 of 3
By the numbers
- 90% of UK homes use fossil fuels for heating, cooking, hot water
- 66% of homes get an Energy Performance Certificate of D or worse
- 68 Megatonnes: the amount of emissions emitted by residences in 2018
- 80% of the buildings in use by 2050 are those that have been constructed before today
- 3 of 3
Doing well by doing good
- In recent months, JLL has reported that sustainability is hot on the market for real estate investors…
- Net zero carbon buildings in central London are becoming highly desirable.
- Buildings that are certified sustainable see a 14% bump in interest…
- And an average 80% of occupancy and let agreements.