ℹ️ You’re reading Quartz Essentials: quick, engaging outlines of the most important topics affecting the global economy.
- 1 of 4
A smooth transition from an on-site to offsite company typically takes six to 12 weeks. But when Covid-19 created government-mandated quarantines, a Texas credit union had just four days to make the switch.
- 2 of 4
When AMOCO Federal Credit Union needed to send its 175 employees home, AT&T Business was ready to help. Within four days, AMOCO employees were taking member calls through AT&T-connected phones. Through the same phones, employees accessed banking, marketing, and other company systems on their computers. Using the AT&T wireless network, rather than employees’ home internet, enhanced operational speed, reliability, and security for AMOCO and its members.
- 3 of 4
This 4-day workaround came with just as many upsides for AMOCO, including:
#1 Communicating with the credit union’s 87,000+ members seamlessly from virtually anywhere
#2 Keeping company information highly secure
#3 Maintaining employee productivity by increasing their at-home bandwidth
#4 Avoiding furloughs and even hiring and training new employees virtually
- 4 of 4
With $1 billion in assets and a reputation for outstanding member care, AMOCO was there for its employees and members in a time of crisis. Read more about how AMOCO uses enterprise-grade mobility from AT&T Business.
- TAKE IT BACKThe most offensive curse word in English has powerful feminist originsQuartz • August 5, 2017
- SUCK IT UPThe world’s first “negative emissions” plant has begun operation—turning carbon dioxide into stoneQuartz • October 12, 2017
- BRAIN PRANKScientists studying psychoactive drugs accidentally proved the self is an illusionQuartz • February 9, 2018
- STEAM STEAM BABYEurope’s heatwave is forcing nuclear power plants to shut downQuartz • August 6, 2018
- LIGHTWEIGHT LIFE HACKWhy every cyclist needs a pool noodleQuartz • May 17, 2019
- WINDOW TO THE BRAINScientists may have found a better way to spot early signs of dementia: our eyesQuartz • July 11, 2019
- JOINTS ON A ROLLMore Americans are smoking marijuana than tobacco cigarettes nowQuartz • August 29, 2022
- Grown up techIt’s time for companies to digitally grow up. Here’s howQuartz at Work • January 31, 2023