In southeastern China, Shenzhen is a hub of tech giants like Tencent and drone maker DJI, as well as research labs and humming factories. Ninety percent of the world’s electronic goods come from Shenzhen and leave by its port. Some 20 million people now call it home, fueling the world’s fastest-rising home prices, and a volatile stock market. This obsession will explore how the world’s factory operates.
- STRONG DELIVERYOne of China’s richest men presides over an army of 80,000 couriers and 30 planesQuartz • March 2, 2017
- PILING IT ONA single city in China built more skyscrapers last year than the US and Australia combinedQuartz • January 12, 2017
- DOUBLE TROUBLEYour brilliant Kickstarter idea could be on sale in China before you’ve even finished funding itQuartz • October 17, 2016
- NI HAO SHENZHENApple is opening a research and development center in Shenzhen, China’s hardware meccaQuartz • October 12, 2016
- HOW LOW CAN YOU GOHousing is so scarce in China’s Silicon Valley that even illegal “pigeon cage” apartments are going fastQuartz • September 28, 2016
- VR EVERYWHEREPhotos: China’s booming virtual reality arcades are bringing the niche technology to the massesQuartz • September 21, 2016
- RULE OF LAWA Chinese lawyer is challenging Beijing over Hong Kong’s missing booksellersQuartz • June 22, 2016