These are the core obsessions that drive our newsroom—defining topics of seismic importance to the global economy.
Between the networking, the interviewing, the negotiating, and the onboarding, moving on or up can feel like a job of its own.
- BACK TO WORKHow to talk about resume gaps when burnout is to blameSeptember 21, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- DRAWING A BLANKHow to respond when a job interviewer says “Tell me about yourself”September 13, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- DON'T DO THE HUSTLEQuitting your job is now a political actSeptember 4, 2021 • Quartz at Work
The Purpose of Companies
The role of business in society is changing. So are our motivations as we make decisions about why and where to work.
- DEVELOPINGBiden is preparing to direct private employers to require Covid-19 vaccinationsSeptember 9, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- NOT A NONPROFITThere’s a better way for companies to generate social impactAugust 23, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- A NUMBERS GAMEHow much do corporate Covid-19 vaccine mandates really matter?August 4, 2021 • Quartz at Work
How to Manage People
Inspiring, coaching, critiquing, training, promoting, problem-solving. There is no shortage of work to be done by good managers.
- NO TRICKERY REQUIREDHow to keep your direct reports motivatedSeptember 20, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- A SIGN OF RESPECTThe benefit that remote employees need mostSeptember 8, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- REAL-TIME RATINGSNow anyone can use Ray Dalio’s instant-feedback tool on Zoom—if they dareJuly 21, 2021 • Quartz at Work
The people and companies that are shaping ideas about how companies should be run.
- LEADERSHIP NEEDEDWhy abortion rights are a workplace issueSeptember 16, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- STEPPING UPLyft and Uber say they will help drivers sued under Texas’s new abortion lawSeptember 3, 2021 • Quartz
- ON THE FENCEWhy politically outspoken CEOs are staying silent on Texas’s new abortion lawSeptember 3, 2021 • Quartz at Work
Power in Progress
What happens when people of different backgrounds meet in the pursuit of work? Ideally, progress.
- RESONANCEMale CEOs get paid more when they have deep, “manly” voicesSeptember 22, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- TESTINGIs McKinsey wrong about the financial benefits of diversity?July 29, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- DAMNED IF YOU DO...What women need to know about writing cover lettersJuly 12, 2021 • Quartz at Work
Productivity & Creativity
Looking for creative ways to be more productive or productive exercises for boosting creativity? We have you covered.
- DECK THE HALLSThe purported death of the presentation feels like a life’s work scornedSeptember 20, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- 100% OOOThe best vacation has no itinerarySeptember 9, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- MEH-TRICSNetflix CMO Bozoma Saint John says we should trust our intuition over dataAugust 23, 2021 • Quartz at Work
The Lives of Working Parents
Once kids enter the picture, everything changes—including our needs as employees and our expectations of employers.
- RAISE THE BARCorporate America’s next big social impact project: Easing the plight of working parentsAugust 9, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- CHECK THE NUMBERSThis new government data show US parents didn’t do more parenting in 2020July 22, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- YES AND NOThe prioritization plan that brought balance to my work and home lifeJune 8, 2021 • Quartz at Work
Whether we work in cubicles, the C-suite, or a home office, we’re always navigating the people and cultural norms shaping our workday.
- WORKSHOPWatch: How to run a company that remote employees loveSeptember 21, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- END OF AN ERA?Microsoft may have found the answer to the “you’re on mute” problemSeptember 13, 2021 • Quartz at Work
- SAFETY PATROLCan you report your employer for not following the new US vaccine rules?September 11, 2021 • Quartz at Work