A female shooter opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters, injuring three

Police officers at the headquarters of YouTube, which faced an active shooter situation on Tuesday.
Police officers at the headquarters of YouTube, which faced an active shooter situation on Tuesday.
We may earn a commission from links on this page.

This post was last updated on April 4 at 2:49am ET.

At least three people were injured with gunshot wounds Tuesday afternoon (April 3) after a woman opened fire at YouTube’s headquarters in San Bruno, California.

Local police received multiple 9-1-1 calls from the YouTube campus at around 12:46pm local time, San Bruno police chief Ed Barberini said in a media briefing. Shortly after, law enforcement arrived on the scene to find numerous people fleeing the area. Earlier, four people were believed to have faced shooting injuries. That number was later revised to three, while a fourth person was injured while fleeing, the New York Times said, citing local police. The victims were transported to an area hospital for treatment, and at least one of them is in critical condition.

San Bruno police identified the shooter as 39-year-old San Diego, California, resident Nasim Aghdam, who was found dead inside from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. San Bruno police say they do not believe additional suspects are associated with the shooting at this time, and are investigating the motive for the attack. National and local news outlets have reported on social media posts that appear to be associated with Aghdam, in which she claims that YouTube discriminated against her videos—which spanned topics such as animal rights, jewelry making, and musical parodies—and filtered them out, costing her money. She vlogged in English, Farsi, and Turkish, according to multiple news reports, and had 16,000 followers on Instagram.

Multiple reports of gunshots surfaced earlier in the day, with employees tweeting that an active shooter was in the building. A product manager at the Google-owned company, Vadim Lavrusik, tweeted that he heard gunshots and saw people running. Lavrusik barricaded himself in a room with other colleagues, and was later evacuated.

YouTube employee Diana Arnspiger told the Associated Press that she had glimpsed the shooter from a second-floor window.

“We heard ‘boom! boom!’ you know, and looked up and didn’t know what it was, and I ran to the window because the window behind me overlooks the patio, and I saw her,” said Arnspiger.

Another employee, Todd Sherman, tweeted that he spotted drops of blood on the floor on his way out of the building. In videos posted to Snapchat, numerous people were also seen exiting the office building with their hands in the air.

YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said she had no words to describe the horror of the day, and thanked law enforcement for its quick arrival. “Our deepest gratitude to law enforcement & first responders for their rapid response. Our hearts go out to all those injured & impacted today. We will come together to heal as a family,” she tweeted.

Echoing Wojcicki, Google CEO Sundar Pichai said in a tweet he had “no words to describe the tragedy that occurred today.”

Soon after news of the shooter broke, Google confirmed that it was in touch with authorities and evacuating the campus. It also urged employees there to shelter until further notice or avoid the area.

The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was also called to the scene.

President Donald Trump said on Twitter he had been briefed on the shooting, and that his thoughts and prayers were with everyone involved.

This story is developing.