I hope you’ve had a great week so far. Today, we’re wrapping up our field guide on Ant Financial—the Chinese fintech giant that is only getting bigger.
Over the course of the week, Quartz reporters John Detrixhe, Echo Huang, and Gwynn Guilford have:
- Laid out the state of play for Ant—where it came from, who’s in charge, how it got so big, and what’s next for the company
- Taken a close look at Alipay, the all-encompassing app at the center of Ant’s growth
- Examined the growth, opportunities, and risks associated with Yu’e Bao, Ant’s money-market fund (which is the largest in the world)
- Chronicled the fierce competition between Ant and its archrival, Tencent
- Interviewed Fraser Howie, co-author of Red Capitalism and longtime observer of Ant’s meteoric rise
- Assembled a comprehensive toolkit to keep you up to date on all things Ant
- We also had our regular weekly servings of Private Key, a new episode of Because China, an analysis of Slack’s S-1, and an update to our immortality guide.
Next week, we’ll be looking at Boeing, a company in the midst of a crisis as it deals with the crashes of its 737 Max 8 airliner.
Join us today at 10am ET/3pm GMT for a conference call with Quartz reporters and field-guide authors John Detrixhe and Echo Huang to talk about Ant Financial and Chinese fintech. You can click on this link to add the call to your Google calendar, or join us at this location. If you’re calling in, dial +1 408 740 7256 in the US or +44 203 608 5256 in the UK; for both numbers, the meeting code is 722 994 440.
Have a great and restful weekend,